top of page
  • Janet Coleman

Dilham Village Hall - some history

Over the years the Village Hall has been the hub for so many activities and village celebrations. Many people remember the annual village fetes, fewer remember the 1946 Victory Day programme of sports and events including a ladies and gents 45 and over football match.


The first hall was built in or around 1921 and the first Trustees were the Vicar, the Rev. Canon Lawrence, Churchwarden William Faulke of Dilham Hall, parishioners Alfred Saville of Hill house and Samuel Everet a resident. The hall and the fences were built by public subscription and it was to be used as a Parish Room, managed by a committee of five, elected by the parishioners. There would be letting for entertainments, meetings, social gatherings and charitable purposes.


In 1937 the land for the playing field was given to the village by Edward Williams on the day of the Coronation of King George VI, in memory of his wife, Elizabeth, nee Culley, a dressmaker who lived in nearby Belgrave Cottage. Elizabeth died earlier that year aged 92.


The marriage of Edward Williams and Elizabeth Culley

The 1953 Coronation Day celebration involved the planting of the two magnificent copper beeches seen at the entrance today.


In 1972, the Trustees asked the Parish Council to accept the Trusteeship of the Village Hall now that the ownership had been legally established, and as the Playing Field was already under their control it seemed advisable.


In the 1980's residents were involved in fundraising for a programme of improvements to the Hall including Bingo, Raffles, a Fashion Show, a clay pigeon shoot, Auctions, Dances and a Bowl Tournament. Many residents gave donations and spent many hours as volunteers to achieve the Hall we have today. And we are so grateful to them all.


The extension was built in 1987, with the new kitchen and accessible toilets in the place of the old kitchen. A store room was also added. The stage has seen many great productions, the pantomimes, variety shows, more recently the Pantaloons theatre company, concerts, etc.


In 2007, a new Constitution of Dilham Playing Field and Village Hall Committee was formed when the land was conveyed to Dilham Parish Council as Custodian Trustees.


In 2010 an agreement was made for 30 years site rental with the Worstead Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers for the base and prefab building adjacent to the Village Hall.

Comments


bottom of page